Nowadays, there are countless ways to attract traffic to your website and increase its ranking in search engines. One of the highly popular ways is creating backlinks. Given below is a holistic approach to what are backlinks and how to build them!
Backlinks & SEO
What Are Backlinks?
A backlink can be defined as a link from one website to another. They are also referred to as inbound links, pointing users to the advertiser's webpage. For example, if someone links to an advertiser's website, he has a backlink from them.
Why Are Backlinks Important?
Backlinks are important in SEO because of the following reasons:
- Backlinks are crucial to getting higher rankings on Google search results. Backlinks are often regarded as 'votes' as the more backlinks a website gets from popular and authoritative websites, the more advantageous it is for good SEO ranking and searches visibility.
- Backlinks are also important for getting more referral traffic. Backlinks exist to point the users towards another website. When these backlinks are present on popular websites, it usually draws more traffic to the advertiser's webpage. Thus, bringing in more referral traffic.
- Lastly, backlinks also help in creating brand awareness. It helps target the untapped audience when a highly popular website backlinks to an advertiser's website. It popularises its brand by bringing in new customers who might even become potential buyers.
What Are High-Quality Backlinks?
Google classifies backlinks into three categories, namely, high quality, low quality, and medium quality backlinks. High-quality backlinks are those links that provide the most amount of value but, at the same time, are difficult to achieve owing to their standards. They direct the users to a different website by using keywords.
So what makes a high-quality backlink? First of all, the backlinks should be relevant. This means that the domain and the backlink page should be relevant to each other. The next thing search engines also look for while judging the quality of backlinks is the reputation of its domain and the backlink page itself.
Google has its page rank algorithm to measure the reputation and importance of a webpage. Lastly, a high-quality backlink is natural. The website owner chooses to provide a backlink to the advertiser's website owing to its high value to the users and not because he is getting paid for that.
Backlinks Through Guest Posting
How Does Being A Podcast Guest Help In Backlinks?
Being a podcast guest can supercharge all the SEO efforts of an advertiser. For instance, appearing as a guest on a podcast can help an advertiser generate more backlinks. Being a part of podcasts also helps in bringing additional traffic.
This is because podcast hosts usually post show notes and transcripts on their websites which will include the name of the business generating more backlinks. Apart from generating more backlinks, the advertiser also has an opportunity to acquire more fame on other social media platforms.
Guest Post Outreach
Guest post outreach is an effective way to connect with the audiences on some other websites they use. Using this process, an advertiser can connect with the audiences of different websites to increase their brand awareness.
Being a guest blogger, an advertiser can attract a new audience and generate more backlinks to his site. This will lead to higher traffic, more leads and a better approach to SEO.
Check out these 1500+ Websites to write Guest Posts for with their analytics.
Generating Backlinks By Writing Out To Bloggers
Reaching out to bloggers can go a long way in promoting an advertiser's content and growing his site. Especially, reaching out to small bloggers is a great way to get more visibility.
Connecting with them and building a relationship with them that is mutually beneficial is what will help to promote one's sites and generate more connections through backlinks.
Creating Backlinks Through Interviews
Backlinks By Getting Interviewed
In today's world, getting interviewed on podcasts, news sites, blogs, and social media platforms is also an effective way to build natural backlinks.
Landing an interview on a website and then mentioning the link to your website effectively brings in traffic. In addition to this, some interviewers mention the backlinks on their websites that take the users to the advertiser's page. This helps in popularising the brand and connecting with the audience.
Backlinks By Conducting Interviews
Another great way of getting more backlinks is by conducting interviews. Audiences consider such question and answer sessions highly credible and authentic. It is most beneficial when the interviewee holds a position of authority in the relevant area.
This will encourage the webmasters with sites on the same topic to view those interviews and thus generating numerous backlinks in the process.
How Do Offering Testimonials Help In Generating Backlinks?
Testimonials are a great way to build customers' trust and earn credibility. Another advantage of using testimonials is getting backlinks.
So what makes testimonials worthy of being included in the link building strategies:
- First of all, testimonials are an excellent way to earn trust apart from helping the customers in decision-making.
- Secondly, they help in improving SEO rankings. Testimonials improve the chances of ranking for high-tail keywords. Writing testimonials will help in improving site authority.
- Lastly, leaving testimonials is also a great link-building opportunity. Offering quality testimonials helps in increasing a website's exposure and visibility through more backlinks.
So, how to create backlinks through testimonials. Let me walk you through these steps:
- The first thing to do is create a list of companies that you can do business with.
- You should next narrow your list to those companies that display testimonials with website links.
- After narrowing down the list, send an email to the website owner writing genuine thoughts and views about his products.
- After giving a detailed description, tell the owner that you will be grateful if they include a link to your website at the end of the testimonial.
Users consider asking for a backlink in exchange for a testimonial as a terrific idea. Plus, you get the choice of being selective of the companies you offer testimonials for and have a chance to attract additional traffic.
Some Other Online Means
Link reclamation has become an integral part of today's digital marketing era. It is the process of finding broken links to your site and fixing them or changing them with updated URLs. Link reclamation is a vital part of SEO and necessary to maintain rankings.
To do this, you must find broken backlinks using certain tools like Google Analytics or Ahrefs. The next task is to reclaim them. You can do this by emailing the site owner by updating him about the broken link and providing him with the new URL. Having a broken link is detrimental to SEO and accounts for a bad user experience, so both the site owner and you need to alter it.
Using Wikipedia Citations
Wikipedia is considered one of the most authoritative sites on the internet. This is why Wikipedia backlinks are a great source of driving more traffic. Wikipedia is considered the most credible source of information, which means getting backlinks from it is an endorsement for your site.
Secondly, if your site is linked to Wikipedia, it will help generate additional backlinks as many other sites will also be using your link while trying to follow Wikipedia. So, Wikipedia gives you one backlink, but it acts like a backlink generating machine that brings in additional traffic from different websites.
In SEO terms, Directory Backlinks are considered as one of the quickest means of obtaining links for generating traffic. To be more specific, a directory is a website that lets you create backlinks by submitting a website URL.
As we all know that backlinks are considered a ranking factor by Google, so the higher the number of links from high-quality sources higher the rankings. Directory listings help build a diverse backlink profile and build your website's domain authority. Compared to other link-building tactics, they are more efficient and cheaper.
Some Bonus Tips
Analysing competitors' websites in the same industry can help you in numerous ways. Some of them have been enlisted below:
- Analysing a competitor's website can help assess the degree of competition in the industry. Using I,t, you can determine how well your competitors perform and determine the standards you need to achieve to compete with them effectively.
- Using a competitor backlink analysis you can judge the quality of their sites. This can help you understand why they are performing well and what is needed to achieve high ranks. You can also view their backlink portfolio, which helped them secure higher ranks.
- Using the information obtained from backlink analysis, you can improve your site's performance to generate better quality backlinks.
The skyscraper technique is another link building strategy where you find high-ranking content with tons of backlinks, capitalize on its weaknesses, and develop a much better piece of content. Research shows that after executing the backlink technique, the number of backlinks to a page increases faster. So, why is this method important? Let's find out:
- The skyscraper technique helps in coming up with the right content. It helps in creating high quality and more engaging content.
- You deal with an audience familiar with similar kinds of content. You can attract them by promising better quality content and providing them something better than the last one.
- Lastly, it helps in attracting more traffic. Your existing backlinks already provide you with a high ranking; however, creating something better and unique gives you a chance to outrank the existing one and thus enjoy more traffic.
Moving Man Method
The moving man method is another popular method where you need to find the relevant websites from the same industry, which are no longer working or active. It involves searching the backlinks to these websites that are no longer active.
The next step is to contact the website owners who have provided the backlinks to such websites. Inform them about the backlinks that are no longer functional. This is an effective way to get an opportunity to score a backlink for your website as the website owner will have to replace those dysfunctional links with new ones.
You can offer your links as a substitute to those inactive links, which will mutually benefit you as well as the website owner.
Creating and promoting infographics is yet another strategy for link building and increasing traffic on the website. So how can creating and promoting infographics help in creating backlinks? Here's a step by step guide:
- The first thing to do is to publish the infographic to be accessed using the link.
- Next thing is to promote the infographic on social media. This is an excellent way to popularise content.
- This is the most important step where you need to reach out to website owners or bloggers who are relevant to your industry and are willing to share such infographics. If they like your infographics and upload them on their sites with links to your website, then it will generate a large amount of referral traffic for your website.
Bonus Read: 5 Essential SEO Tools For Agencies
Having high-quality backlinks is necessary because platforms like Google rank the websites based on link popularity. Not only does the quality of backlinks matter, but also their quantity. Building backlinks to your website is the most valuable thing you can do to improve your website.